Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 19 (27 May 1442–16 June 1443) (Expenses for the principal day)


In primis in ix bushels frumenti precio iiij s. ij d. Item in molitura & pistura euisdem frumenti xiiij d.

Item in vij dussenis ceruisie bone & ij kilderkins tenuis seruisie x s. x d. Item in ij dussenis aucarum emptis precia & pasturum earum vj s.

Item porcellis emptis ij s. Item in vitulis ‸⸢duobus⸣ emptis iiij s. iiij d. Item in iij agnis emptis ij s. vj d.

Item in pullis emptis ij s. ob. Item in ouis emptis xj d. ob. Item in carnibus porcinis emptis iij d. Item in butiro ij d.

Item in garlecke j d. Item in cepis anglice onyones ij d. Item in caseo iij d. Item in vino acri ij d.

Item in virdi iure ij d. Item in sale ob. Item pro cytharista ij s. Item pro coco xx d. Item pro vasis electreis iiij d.

Item pro turneres & washeres viij d. Item in focalibus xij d.

Summa xl s. xj d. ob.


  • Record Translation

    p 19 (27 May 1442–16 June 1443) (Expenses for the principal day)


    First on nine bushels of grain at the price, 4s 2d; likewise on the milling and baking of the same grain, 14d.

    Likewise on seven dozen of good ale and two kilderkins of weak ale, 10s 10d; likewise on two dozen geese bought and their feed, 6s.

    Likewise on piglets bought, 2s; likewise on two calves bought, 4s 4d; likewise on three lambs bought, 2s 6d.

    Likewise on pullets bought, 2s 1/2d; likewise on eggs bought, 11 1/2d; likewise on pork bought, 3d; likewise on butter, 2d.

    Likewise on garlic, 1d; likewise on onions, in English 'onions,' 2d; likewise on cheese, 3d; likewise on vinegar, 2d.

    Likewise on verjuice, 2d; likewise on salt, 1/2d; likewise for the harper, 2s; likewise for the cook, 20d; likewise for pewter vessels, 4d.

    Likewise for turners and washers, 8d; likewise on fuel 12d.

    In total 40s 11 1/2d.


  • Glossed Terms
    • uirdis, -is adj var of uiridis [OLD, DML]
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 27 May 1442.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top