Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 17 (22 May 1440–11 June 1441)


Item ad principalem diem in vij boschelles & a halfe qwette emptis precium iij s. ix d. Item in greydyng vij d. ob. & Bakyng v d.

Item in <.>ceruiscem" vj dussenis ix s. Item in xx aucas precium le pesse ii d. ob. Somma iiij s. ij d.

Item in ij vetellu' iiij s. ⸢iiij d.⸣ viij d. Item in iij angnis iij s. Item in xxiij chekyns xx d.

Item in iij porsellu' ij s. iiij d. Item in specibus ij s. iij d. Item in eggs vj d. Item in Botura ij d.

Item in salte j d. Item allegra & veniegra ij d. ob. Item verius j d. Item in garleke j d. Item onions j d.

Item in lakte & gremio vj d. Item in honi iiij d. Item in focalibus xv d. Item in fowyng of ye halle & in ye strowys iij d.

Item in coko pro labore suo xvi d. Item in vertutoribus v d. Item in ye menstrelle ij s. iiij d. Item in his horse mete iij d.

Item in ye menstrell mete & ye cokys mete iiij d. Item pro lauacionis panis & ye mendyng v d. Somma xxxix s.


  • Footnotes
    • greydyng: for greyndyng; abbreviation mark missing
    • ceruiscem: for ceruisia
    • aucas: for aucis
    • vetellu': for vetullis
    • ⸢iiij d.⸣ viij d.: viij d. presumably for deletion
    • porsellu': for porsellis
    • gremio: for crema (?)
    • vertutoribus for veruuertoribus
    • lauacionis: for lauacione
  • Record Translation

    p 17 (22 May 1440–11 June 1441)


    Likewise for the principal day on seven bushels and a half of wheat bought (at) the price 3s 9d; likewise on grinding 7 1/2d, and baking, 5d.

    Likewise on ale, six dozen, 9s; likewise on twenty geese: price a piece, 2 1/2d, in total 4s 2d.

    Likewise on two calves, 2s 4d; likewise on three sheep, 3s; likewise on twenty-three chickens, 20d.

    Likewise on three piglets, 2s 4d; likewise on spices, 2s 3d; likewise on eggs, 6d; likewise on butter, 2d.

    Likewise on salt, 1d; likewise alegar and vinegar, 2 1/2d; likewise verjuice, 1d; likewise on garlic, 1d; likewise onions 1d.

    Likewise on milk and cream, 6d; likewise on honey, 4d; likewise on fuel, 15d; likewise on cleaning of the hall and on the straw, 3d.

    Likewise on the cook for his labour, 16d; likewise on turnspits, 5d; likewise on the minstrel 2s 4d; likewise on food for his horse, 3d.

    Likewise on the minstrel's food and the cook's food, 4d.

    Likewise for washing and the repairing of the tablecloth, 5d. In total, 39s.


  • Glossed Terms
    • panis, -is n f in CL bread; here the form has apparently been confused with pannus, -i n m cloth, tablecloth; panys
    • pesse n piece
    • qwette n wheat
    • ueriuetor, -oris n m turnspit, one who turns a spit, var of veruvertor [DML]; ueriueter
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 22 May 1440.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top