Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 11 (22 May–11 June) (For the principal day)


Item In pane empto vj s. Item in seriuicia v dossenis vij s. vij d. Item in pullis xvj d. Item in j vitullino empto presium iij s. ij d. Item in moton' ij s. Item in caseo x d. Item in sitrabartha iij s. Item pro costages de le menstrell v d. Item in conduccione coquine iiij d. Item in coco & veriuetoribus x d. Item in focalibus vij d. ob. Item in sirpis j d. Item in melle ij d. Item in sale ob. Item in speciebus vx d. ob. Item in lakte & butro ij d. in venegra j d. Item in ouis j d. Item in sepes j d.

Summa xxvij s. viij d. ob.


  • Footnotes
    • vx d. ob.: possibly for xv d. ob.
  • Record Translation

    p 11 (22 May–11 June) (For the principal day)


    Likewise on bread bought, 6s; likewise on ale, five dozen, 7s 7d; likewise on pullets, 16d; likewise on one veal bought for the price, 3s 2d; likewise on mutton, 2s; likewise on cheese, 10d; likewise on the harper, 3s; likewise for the costs of the minstrel, 5d; likewise on the renting of the kitchen, 4d; likewise on the cook and turnspits, 10d; likewise on fuel, 7 1/2d; likewise on rushes, 1d; likewise on honey, 2d; likewise on salt, 1/2d; likewise on spices, 15 1/2d; likewise on milk and butter, 2d; on vinegar, 1d; likewise on eggs, 1d; likewise on onions, 1d.

    In total 27s 8 1/2d.


  • Glossed Terms
    • moto, -onis n m mutton, sheep, var of multo [DML]
    • presium, -i n nt var of pretium [OLD, DML]
    • sepes, -is n f in CL hedge or fence; here the form has apparently been confused with caepa, -e n f onion
    • sitrabartha, -e n f likely harper; perhaps originally in error for citharista
    • ueriuetor, -oris n m turnspit, one who turns a spit, var of veruvertor [DML]; ueriueter
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 22 May 1429.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top