Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 50 (29 May–21 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


In primis in expensis ad expensa ad exequias vltimo Anno vj d. xij d. In j quarterio ⸢dimidioij bushels frumenti iiij s. ⸢ix d.⸣ in viij dossenis seruisie xij s. In multura & pistura xxj d. In ij kilderkins potus iiij d. In xxiiij aucarum iiij s. viij d. In iij Cumbis ⸢ij bushels⸣ auenarum ij d. In iij multonis ⸢vij s. vj d.⸣ v s. in ij vitulis v s. in v dussenis pullorum gallinorum v s. In v porcellis ij s. ⸢v d.⸣ ij d. In diuersis speciebus iij s. ⸢iiij d.ij d. ob. in melle j potello ⸢j pyn<.>e⸣ x d. In C dimidio Ouorum vij d. ob. In butiro vj d. In vino dulciviij d. In iij lagenis dimidio quacci x d. ob. In iiij lagenis lactis iiij d. In sale & aceto & otemele v d. In stipendio iiij ministrallorum vj s. viij d. In stipendio Coci ij s. In swilleres & Turneres xij d. In focali xij d. xxj d. ⸢xix d.⸣...


  • Footnotes
    • ad expensa: for deletion (?)
    • dulci: i written over e
  • Record Translation

    p 50 (29 May–21 May) (Expenses on the principal day)


    First in expenses for the obsequies last year, 6d; on one quarter (and) a half two bushels of grain, 4s 9d; on eight dozen of ale, 12s; on milling and baking, 21d; on two kilderkins of drink, 4d; on twenty-four geese, 4s 8d; on three coombs and two bushels of oats, 2d; on three sheep, 7s 6d; on two calves, 5s; on five dozen chicken pullets, 5s; on five piglets, 2s 5d; on various spices, 3s; on honey, one pottle (and) one pint, 10d; on 150 eggs, 7 1/2d; on butter, 6d; on sweet wine, 8d; on three gallons (and) a half of cream, 10 1/2d; on four gallons of milk, 4d; on salt and vinegar and oatmeal, 5d; on the stipend of three minstrels, 6s 8d; on the cook's stipend, 2s; on swillers and turners, 12d; on fuel, 19d....

  • Glossed Terms
    • cumba, -e n f coomb, a dry measure of capacity, equal to four bushels, or half a quarter [OEDO coomb | comb, n.1]
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 29 May 1485.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top