Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 48 (25 May 1483–13 June 1484) (Expenses on the principal day)


In primis expenses ad exequias vltimo Anno xij d. In j quarterio ij bushels frumenti 12 s. xij s. In vij dossenis seruisie x s. vj d. ⸢ij dossenis potus iiij d.⸣ In multura & pistura xvj <.> In ij dossenis aucarum iiij s. In iij combis auenarum ad cibandum iij s. In iij Multonis ix s. In ij vitulis iiij s. viij d. In iiij dossenis pullorum galinorum iiij s. In diuersis speciebus iij s. viij d. In j potello mellis viij d. In C dimidio Ouorum ix d. In butiro vj d. In ij galonis dimidio de creme vij d. ob. In iiij galonis mylke iiij d. In sale aceto & otemele iiij d. In stipendio Nicholai manger mynstrelli ⸢iij s. iiij d. <...>⸣ In stipendio Coci ij s. In swilleres & Turneres x d. In focali empto xvj d.

Summa iij li. iiij s ij d. ob...


  • Footnotes
    • 12 s.: it is not clear why the sum has been written in arabic numbers as well as the usual roman
  • Record Translation

    p 48 (25 May 1483–13 June 1484) (Expenses on the principal day)


    First in expenses for the obsequies last year, 12d; on one quarter (and) two bushels of grain, 12s; on seven dozen of ale, 10s 6d. Two dozen of drink, 4d; on milling and baking, 16d; on two dozen geese, 4s; on three coombs of oats for feeding (the geese), 3s; on three sheep, 9s; on two calves, 4s 8d; on four dozen chicken pullets, 4s; on various spices, 3s 8d; on one pottle of honey, 8d; on 150 eggs, 9d; on butter, 6d; on two gallons and a half of cream, 7 1/2d; on four gallons of milk, 4d; on salt, vinegar, and oatmeal, 4d; on Nicholas Maunger, the minstrel's stipend, 3s 4d <...>; on the cook's stipend, 2s; on swillers and turners, 10d; on fuel bought, 16d.

    In total £3 4s 2 1/2d....


  • Glossed Terms
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 25 May 1483.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top