Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 45 (28 May 1480–17 June 1481) (Expenses for the dinner)


In primis solutum in expensis ad exequias vltimo Anno xj d. Et pro j quarterio ij bushels frumenti v s. v d. Et solutum pro multura & pistura inde xviij d. Et pro vj dossenis seruisie viij <...> Et pro ij kilderkins potus iiij d. Et pro ij dossenis Aucarum iiij s. Et pro iij Combis Auenarum xxj d. Et pro ij vitulis iiij s. Et pro j motone dimidio iij s. ii<...> Et pro vj porcellis ij s. v d. Et pro iiij dossenis iij pullorum galinorum iij s. xj d. Et pro CC Ouis xij d. Et pro butiro iiij d. Et solutum pro la<...> & quacco xiiij d. Et pro melle v d. Et solutum pro speciebus iij s. Et pro j pecca Sale & otemele ij d. Et pro ew vnyonis & a<...> ij d. Et pro stipendio Maunger mynstrall iij s. iiij d. Et pro stipendio Coci ij s. Et pro Swilleris & turneris xij d. Et foculi xiiij d.

Summa xlix s. iiij d.


  • Footnotes
    • iij: for deletion
    • la<...>: for lacte
  • Record Translation

    p 45 (6 June–28 May) (Expenses for the dinner)


    First paid in expenses for the obsequies last year, 11d; and for one quarter (and) two bushels of grain, 5s 5d; and paid for milling and baking thereof, 18d; and for six dozen of ale 8s <...>; and for two kilderkins of drink, 4d; and for two dozen geese, 4s; and for three coombs of oats, 21d; and for two calves, 4s; and for one sheep and a half (or one half of a sheep) 3s <...>; and for six piglets, 2s 5d; and for four dozen chicken pullets, 3s 11d; and for 200 eggs, 12d; and for butter, 4d; and paid for milk and cream, 14d. And for honey, 5d; and paid for spices, 3s; and for one peck of salt and oatmeal, 2d; and for onions and <...>, 2d; and for the minstrel, Maunger's stipend, 3s 4d; and for the cook's stipend, 2s; and for swillers and turners, 12d; and fuel, 14d.

    In total 49s 4d


  • Glossed Terms
    • moto, -onis n m mutton, sheep, var of multo [DML]
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 28 May 1480. The leaf is damaged at the left edge, resulting in lost readings of up to four characters.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top