Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 43 (17 May–6 June)


In primis solutum ⸢pro deuocionibus x d.⸣ pro j quarterio ij bushels frumenti viij s. iiij d. Et pro multura & pistura inde xviij d. Et pro vj dossenisseruisie<.> viij s. & ij kilderkins potu iiij d. Et pro xxvj aucis iiij s. iiij d. Et pro Auenis j quarterio ij bushels ij s. vj d. pro cibacione datis Aucarum Et pro ij vitulis iij s. iiij d. Et pro iiij Agnellis iij s. iiij d. Et pro iiij porcellis ij s. ij d. Et pro xxvj pullis galinis xxij d. Et pro v dussenis pipionum xix d. Et pro CC Ouis x d. Et pro butiro iiij d. Et pro lacte & quacto x d. E Et pro Otemele & Sale j d. Et aceto j d. Et pro j quarterio mellis ij d. Et pro diuersis Speciebus iij s. ij d. Et Nicholao maunger ministrallo iij s. iiij d. Et Thome picard coco ij s. Et solutum lixa Swiller' & giratori veruum xij d. Et in ffocali xvj d. Et in expensis seruienti vigilia viij d.

Summa lj s. xj d.


  • Record Translation

    p 43 (17 May–6 June)


    First paid for the obsequies, 10d; for one quarter (and) two bushels of grain, 8s 4d; and for milling and baking thereof, 18d; and for six dozen of ale, 8s; and two kilderkins of drink, 4d; and for twenty-six geese, 4s 4d; and for oats, one quarter (and) two bushels, provided as feed for the geese, 2s 6d; and for two calves, 3s 4d; and for four lambs, 3s 4d; and for four piglets, 2s 2d; and for twenty-six chicken pullets, 22d; and for five dozen squab, 19d; and for 200 eggs, 10d; and for butter, 4d; and for milk and cream, 10d; and for oatmeal and salt, 1d; and vinegar, 1d; and for one quart of honey, 2d; and for various spices, 3s 2d; and to Nicholas Maunger, minstrel, 3s 4d; and to Thomas Picard, cook, 2s; and paid to the swiller (or swillers) and turnspit, 12d; and on fuel, 16d; and on the expenses for the one observing the vigil, 8d....

    In total 51s 11d


  • Glossed Terms
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
    • ueru, -us n m spit, broach
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 17 May 1478.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top