Holy Trinity Guild Accounts

Wisbech and Fenland Museum: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566

p 38 (13 June–5 June) (Expenses on the principal day)


In primis solutum in expensis ad exequias vltimo Anno ⸢x d.⸣ In j quarterio ij bushels frumenti ⸢iiij s. ij d.⸣ In multura & pistura inde ⸢xvj d.⸣ In vij dossenis seruisie ⸢x s. vj d.⸣ In ij kilderkins potus iiij d. In ij vitulis emptis ⸢iiij s.⸣ In iij ouibus ⸢vj s. x d.⸣ In aucis emptis (blank) dossenis ⸢iiij s. iiij d.⸣ In iij Combis demi auenarum emptis ⸢ij s.⸣ In iiij dossenis pullorum gallinorum ⸢iij s. viij d.⸣ In ij ⸢C⸣ Ouis emptis ⸢viij d.⸣ In iij galenis lacte & iij galenis dimidio quacci ⸢xiij d. ob.⸣ In butiro empto ⸢iiij d.⸣ in diuersis speciebus ⸢iij s. iiij d.⸣ In j quarterio mellis ⸢iiij d.⸣ In aceto vineagra Sale Otmele Cepis & alleatis ⸢iiij d.⸣ In stipendijs histrionibus ⸢ij s. viij d.⸣. In stipendijs Cocorum ij s. In focali empto ⸢xviij d.⸣ In stipendijs lixarum & giratoris veruum ⸢x d.⸣ Summa li s. j d. ob.


  • Record Translation

    p 38 (13 June–5 June) (Expenses on the principal day)


    First paid in expenses for the obsequies last year, 10d. On one quarter (and) two bushels of grain, 4s 2d; on the milling and baking thereof, 16d; on seven dozen of ale, 10s 6d; on two kilderkins of drink, 4d; on two calves bought, 4d; on three sheep, 6s 10d; on geese bought, (blank) dozen, 4s 4d; on three coombs and a half of oats bought, 2s; on four dozen chicken pullets, 3s 8d; on two hundred eggs bought, 8d; on three gallons of milk and three gallons and a half of cream, 13 1/2d; on butter bought, 4d; on various spices, 3s 4d; on one quart of honey, 4d; on (malt ?) vinegar, vinegar, salt, oatmeal, onions, and garlic, 4d; on the entertainers' stipends, 2s 8d; on the cooks' stipends, 2s; on fuel bought, 18d; on the stipends of the servants and the turnspit, 10d. In total 51s 1 1/2d.


  • Glossed Terms
    • alleatum, -i n nt garlic [cp DML aliatus]
    • otemele n oatmeal; otmele
    • potus, -us n m drink, here weak ale as distinct from ceruisia
    • ueru, -us n m spit, broach
  • Endnote

    The accounts record payments for the guild dinner, 13 June 1473.

  • Document Description

    Record title: Holy Trinity Guild Accounts
    Repository: Wisbech and Fenland Museum
    Shelfmark: Guild of the Holy Trinity in Wisbech 1379–1547 & Corporation Records 1564–1566
    Repository location: Wisbech

    The guild of the Holy Trinity of Wisbech was one of three guilds with a presence in the village of Leverington; the other two were the guilds of St Mary and of St John. Holy Trinity was the largest and most important of the guilds, with a consistent membership of fifty-six to sixty-seven members, both men and women; it first appears in accounts in 1379, but entries there indicate it had existed for some time prior (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 186–97, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp186-197). Holy Trinity was incorporated in 1453; after its dissolution in 1566, the guild's estates were taken over by the Corporation and thus preserved (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255-6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). Records of the guildhall begin in 1423, but it is likely that it was in existence before then; its site cannot be definitively identified (VCH: Cambridgeshire, vol 4, pp 255–6, British History Online, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/cambs/vol4/pp255-256). As Frederic Gardiner observes, 'the Trinity Guild is believed to have met in a primitive building, with thatched roof, supposed to have stood on the site of the present Grammar School, but its locality is not known with certainty' (Frederic John Gardiner, History of Wisbech and Neighbourhood, During the Fifty Years – 1848–1898 (London, 1898), 90–1).

    1379–1547, 1564–6; Latin and English; paper; iv + 139 + i; 414 mm x 301 mm; 18th-c. pagination; leaves extensively reconstructed, mounted into paper frames with some gauze reinforcement; late 18th-c. marbled paper binding with leather spine and front label and corner reinforcements, title on spine: 'Guld of Holy Trinity Wisbech 1379 – Annis Multis Intermissis – 1547, Records of the Corporation 1564 – 1566.'

Back To Top